Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:34:07 GMT

"Don Burleson" <don_at_burleson.cc> wrote in message news:998d28f7.0408241456.4303efc4_at_posting.google.com...
> > So I was thinking rest of the RAM (1.5GB) is not being utilised. Hence I
> > posted the question.
>
> Yes, you are wasting RAM, and this is very common on 32-bit Oracle
> Windows databases, especially servers with 8 gig RAM and a HWM PGA
> uasgae of less than 500 meg.
>
> There are two solutions used by most shops. You have two choices, 4GT
> or AWE. AWE is best and you can use all of the RAM for Oracle.

Hi Don,

No, there's a third solution that's actually used by most shops.

Have a DBA who actually knows *how* to tune a database and allocate memory *appropriately*. Requiring AWE is rarely required and suggesting that memory should simply be used because it's there, especially with the *significant overheads* that AWE entails is poor advice even by your standards.

Cheers

Richard Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 10:34:07 CDT