Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:58:47 +0200

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Yes, that is the correct way to do it ...
>
> These days, the typical scenario (especially since Oracle introduced the
> concept of ORACLE_HOME) is to use one *nix userid to install and manage
> _all_ instances.
>
> If you want the confusion of two identically-named instances on the same
> server, you _must_ separate them by *nix userid.
>
> I've not used this trick since Oracle8, late '90s, and had totally forgotten
> about it. DOH!
>
> To express a concern - I hope you did not _need_ to do this because of
> hard-coded SID in the application!

I did it only as an answer to this topic... to show that to have two DB/instances with the same name on the same host machine was indeed possible.

In "real life" I prefer to use different names... as well as different oracle users if I have more the one oracle version installed. But probably this last assertion show my lack of experience with the oracle world.

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe