Re: Hang when adding/resizing datafile

From: miam <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:07:02 +0200

> Hmmm, what kind of disks/filesystems do you have? Are you using a
> journaled filesystem? What happens when you make a new tablespace?
> What blocksize?

ext3 on scsi-raid (it's an IBM server)
The problem occurs also when creating a new tablespace (and also when creating tablespaces of a new database)
db_block_size=8192

> Just grasping at straws here.
>
> I did used to see these sorts of things happen on O8.0 hp and sun
> systems, but don't recall the answers. You haven't turned on Oracle
> tracing, by chance? Multiple database writers? OPS? Have you
> checked to see what is waiting?

I know "alter session set sql_trace=true", but I don't think this is what you mean
How can I turn on Oracle tracing (I can reproduce the problem when I want)
I don't know what the process is waiting :((

> The process you can't kill, what is it's parent? Does a ps show it as
> defunct or zombie? Are all of the Oracle processes there?
If the command is launched from remote, ps shows it as child of the process "1", as every else remote-client-connection oracle process If the command is locally launched, the process is child of the local dba(svrmgrl)/client(sqlplus) program
if "MYDB" is the name of the database, the process is named "oracleMYDB" and its environment is "(LOCAL=NO) or begin with "(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=Y" depending if I have connected from remote or not all oracle processes seem to be there, and have a normal behaviour :

ora_pmon_MYDB
ora_dbw0_MYDB
ora_lgwr_MYDB
ora_ckpt_MYDB
ora_smon_MYDB
ora_reco_MYDB

If I shutdown abort the database, the only process remaining is the "oracleMYDB"
It is not killable