Re: how to handle updates to millions of rows

From: Peter Mueller <lord.of.board_at_gmx.de>
Date: 27 Aug 2004 03:02:55 -0700

Unfortunately the merge command is not what I was looking for. I just need to find an efficient way to join data from two tables and have the original records deleted.

before:

 table a (apx. 8.000.000 records)
 table b (apx. 8.000.000 records)
 table a_an_b_joined (0 records)

What I would like to have afterwards:

 table a (apx. 1.000.000 records)
 table b (apx. 1.000.000 records)
 table a_an_b_joined (apx. 7.000.000 records + converted currencies)

The procedure has to be run once a month. How can I achieve this?

Best regards,
Peter

DB = ORACLE 9i