Re: Oracle 8i and Oracle 9i Lite Sync

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:12:09 +0200

Mark Bole wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

>> On 25 Aug 2004 23:42:23 -0700, karthi_at_myrealbox.com (Karthik) wrote:
>>

>>> Is it possible to do a synchronisation between oracle 8i server and
>>> oracle 9i Lite,
>>> If that is the case what is the edition [type] of oracle 8i that is
>>> required [Enterprise or standard etc]. Im unable to find this info @
>>> oracle site [or] it is too complicated to search
>>>
>>> -karthik
>>

>> Lower version database to higher version client. This is not likely
>> going to work.
>>

>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

> I once had Advanced Replication working from an 8i to a 9i database, but
> it was a lot of work. This is the only way I know of to "synchronize"
> across versions and/or platforms, echoing what Sybrand stated, unless
> your dataset is small enough to consider an export/import refresh process.
>
> --Mark Bole

Sorry to barge in here, but did you ever take a look at Oracle Lite? It has specifically been built to be used in small computers (cell phones, PDA's) that require synchronization.
Pretty easy to set up, and it works between 5.0.1 (aka 9i) and 8.0 as well as 8i (according to
http://download.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A95260_01.pdf).

So why don't you give it a try?

--

Regards,