Re: Two instances with same SID in a same machine

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:52:50 +1000

Firehawk® wrote:

> Is it possible ?
> I am debating this question with a job partner.
> My opinion is if I use two diferents Oracle users  like oracleA and
> oracleB and make two instalations wholly separated, it's possible and to
> attach to instances use differents listeners ports.
> Am I correct ?

I suppose knowing the proposed platform and O/S would be out of the question?

Instance names must be unique on a host. How else can Oracle distinguish between them? How else can your O/S cope?

For example, the rule about what file Oracle looks for at instance startup is that it searches ORACLE_HOME/dbs (or O_H\database) for a file called initSID.ora, or spfileSID.ora. Now, if you've two instances of the same name, that can only be because the ORACLE_SID environment variable is set identically... care to speculate on how one could find one initSID.ora, and the other could find a completely different initSID.ora, yet of the same name and in the same directory???

Nice idea, but your opinion is, in this case, ill-founded.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 18:52:50 CDT