Re: Possible Security Breach

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:34:18 +1000

rc wrote:

> Hi
>
> We run oracle 8.7.1.4 on Solaris 8 Sparc
>
> I have noticed from our firewall log that our server is trying to
> connect to an IP address on the Internet on port 1521.

You know that port 1521 is the standard port for an Oracle listener, don't you?

> I have never allowed port 1521 in/out via the firewall

If the connection attempt is being made to the Internet, I suspect it's your Oracle configuration that needs looking at, not your firewall.

> After further hunting, I have found that it is the pmon process that
> is initiating the syn packet. Obviously the pmon process is being told
> to do this something else.

Er, paranoia is a useful quality in some situations. But it also helps to know something about Oracle so that you can sensibly distinguish between those occasions when there's a real problem and those where Oracle is just doing its normal stuff.

In 8i, we have automatic instance registration, whereby PMON every few minutes will attempt to make contact with a listener (usually, as mentioned, running on port 1521) in order to assure the listener that the instance is still running and to give it some load information.

That way, the listener is in a position to load-balance user requests appropriately in a cluster situation. Or to connect a user with confidence of success in a non-cluster situation.

What you are witnessing is, therefore, PMON's normal, hard-coded, behaviour. That it has maybe been directed to register with a listener outside your firewall is a configuration issue Check tnsnames.ora and the init.ora parameter local_listener and maybe remote_listener too. The two parameters take values of tnsnames.ora aliases, which therefore resolve down to IP addresses and port numbers. If there is no explicit alias provided for either parameter, then the default behaviour is for PMON to register with a listener running on port 1521 on the local host. If the IP address to which registration is being directed is a definite no-no as far as you are concerned, the answer lies somewhere in those two files.

> Is there known holes in the version of Oracle we run or can any point
> in the direction to find out what is telling pmon to do this?
>
> Thanks

Are there known holes? Yes, but you've patched 8i as good as it's going to get.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Aug 27 2004 - 09:34:18 CDT