Re: Why is a backup of the controlfiles needed

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:00:08 GMT

Rene Nyffenegger wrote:

> In article <IwnXc.12482$S35.9178_at_newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, Mark Bole wrote:
>

>>Rene Nyffenegger wrote:

[...]
> I didn't mean to imply that backups of online redo logs should be taken.
>
> My point was: If I want to be able to recover until the very last executed
> commit, I need to make sure that I have access to at least one member
> of each group of the online redo log, no matter what happens to the
> server. If one hard disk crashes, bad, but not disasterous, because
> there is a copy of it on another harddisk. But if it is possible
> to get at least one copy of the online redo log, I can equally get
> one copy of a control file.
>
> However, your point is, as I understand it, if the server dies badly,
> you can at least make an incomplete recovery more easily because the
> control file had been backed up.
>
> Rene

Yes.

The only way I know of to guarantee zero committed data loss if your server crashes is to run Data Guard physical standby in maximum protection mode on another server (which introduces new costs and drawbacks).

This is somewhat OT from the original post but if someone is asking about why backups of control files, I think they should also understand the implications of all the other things that can and cannot be backed up, both on the same server and elsewhere.

As always, it boils down to:

--Mark Bole Received on Thu Aug 26 2004 - 12:00:08 CDT