Re: DB Buffer Cache Size

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:00:50 +1000

Ed Stevens wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:46:27 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:
>
> <snippage>

>>On the other hand, a DBA or manager needs to have yardsticks by which to
>>judge or assess a product, even if there's nothing much beyond that he can
>>do. When you are evaluating two potential competitor products, . . . "
>>

> Who gets to evaluate two potential competitor products?

Lots of people. Lots of times. Me included, in the dim and distant past.

In a world of mere anecdote, we can bat this sort of thing back and forth until we're exhausted!

The principle remains: you can't make sensible judgements about even a solitary piece of shrinkwrap without a sound starting point, which has to be a judgement of design and coding efficiency.

> The only
> experience I've ever had with shrink-wrap is "The user department has
> purchased this. Make it work." Or the slight variation, "The user
> department has purchased this. The vendor has already installed and
> configured the server, the db, and the app. Make it work."

Yeah, I've been there too. And when I couldn't make it work, what did I do? Collected a lot of information about *why* it wouldn't work (actually, the example I have in mind had nothing to do with Oracle and everything to do with not supplying 3 crucial DLLs, and a further 4 which conflicted with practically every other DLL that had ever been written by anybody anywhere... but the thing still came down to an assessment of their design and the implementation of their design).

It's either that, or look like a complete prat when the inevitable question arises "Why doesn't this work" and one's sole response is "I dunno".

Regards
HJR