Re: Database Link to check Standby Database

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:24:48 GMT

ITAPORT06 wrote:

> Mark thanks a lot for your response.
> Sorry for not mentioning:  The release is 8.1.7.4
>
> I have two seperate servers PROD and STANDBY so I gues u mean Physical
> standby.
>
> What I like to achieve is to check the production & Standby server to
> check both squence numbers of the last create and applied redo log
> files. I want to do this " from  "  the production server by comparing
> the sequence numbers of both servers. This has to be done autmatic.
>
> What will happen if I create a DB link to a Standby server.  Because
> the redo log with the create DB link command wil also be applied on
> the standby server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ton

What I replied the first time is still pretty much the case.

If you create the link in the primary, it will be created in the physical standby also, which is irrelevant to your goal. You need to do a test to convince yourself that this won't help. Using a DB link requires the remote database to be open. Your physical standby will not normally be open.

If you are using managed recovery, the documentation tells you how to check the the appropriate V$ table on either the primary or the standby, as I mentioned. If you are doing manual (user-managed) recovery, your own scripts will have to do the checking. For example, you could extract the date and time, or SCN, for the last applied redo log from the recovery session output and compare it to the current time or SCN of the primary.

--Mark Bole

[...]