Re: DB Buffer Cache Size

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 13:10:52 -0700

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<412B468D.72D_at_yahoo.com>...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> >
> [snip]
>
> > I simply don't understand the basis of the question. I offer you a bodge-job
> > that fixes nothing, but makes things appear OK on the surface for $10,000;
> > and a comprehensive, thorough and "correct" fix of the underlying issues
> > for $15,000; and the gist of your question implies you'd pick the $10,000
> > option?
> >
> [snip]
>
> > Even the lowest end of town must known that 10K today, plus 10K next year,
> > plus 10K the year after is not a 'quick-and-cheap' alternative to paying
> > 15K-right-now-and-that's-all.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> Depends where you sit in the hierarchy...My experience is:
>
> Consultant: recommends $15k fix
> DBA/Developer: prepares case/spec for $15k fix
> Project Mgr: asks what can be done for only $10k
> DBA/Developer: presents $10k and $15k option - stresses importance of
> latter
> Project Mgr: presents $10k and $15k option to senior mgt - stresses
> importance of saving $5k
> Senior Mgt: opts for $10k

The numbers I see are more like Don's, except the frustrating part is a small part of what you put as Consultant could get rid of a large part of the problem, done as Howard recommends.

Howard, I don't know if you've seen Lawson's book, but that methodology is what I'm advocating as opposed to the Oracle Way, not just floundering about, although I must say I've found a lot of things wrong at places just by simply taking a fresh eye and poking about, looking for obvious (to me) things wrong that nobody has figured out they should be complaining about yet. The Oracle Way (for an alledgedly running system) is lacking in getting things into the ballpark. Things like default or ridiculous buffer settings, misunderstood kernel settings, user objects in system TS, rollback segs way out of line, misused OFA, etc. Unless I missed something in the Oracle Way?

> Its like a place I'm at, where little or no referential integrity exists
> on one of the sub-systems. We presented a case for fixing the current
> data and adding RI, to which the response was:
>
> "What percentage data integrity problems do we currently have?"
>
> Hmmmmm....I always thought data integrity was a boolean.

If that were the case, deferring one unused table would mean all of Oracle lost integrity. Is Rely (Do Not Enforce) an oxymoron? :-)

%DIP=BCHR=99, of course! :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Though Realtor Mom likes Wal-Mart, it's the price club that really