Re: Oracle development versions

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 10:39:19 -0700

afilonov_at_yahoo.com (Alex Filonov) wrote in message news:<336da121.0408231814.3f9991a0_at_posting.google.com>...
> afilonov_at_yahoo.com (Alex Filonov) wrote in message news:<336da121.0408231353.4acfe98a_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Kenneth Koenraadt wrote in message news:<412a1b6c.2197375_at_news.inet.tele.dk>...

> > > Especially, if you are installing it on a workstation running DHCP,
> > > the 10g installer will complain that it cannot obtain an IP address.
> > > Apparently, you can ignore these errors and install successfully
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > - Kenneth Koenraadt
> >
> > I don't know about other systems, but on Linux 10g installs a daemon
> > which contacts Oracle once an hour for some unknown purpose. It's quite
> > possible that installer needs IP address to configure that daemon.
> >

> A little bit more about the daemon. It's CSS daemon, looks like a daemon
> managing RAC file systems (did anybody see something about it in
> documentation?) I don't know why installer installs it for single
> instance (non-grid) configuration. Removal of it doesn't affect operations
> of the server and listener.
> And I still have no idea why it's trying to contact Oracle (or something
> else on the net).

Oh well, some digging of Metalink produced this thread: 610597.995.

In short, CSS daemon is necessary if you run RAC or if you use ASM. If you don't run RAC and don't use ASM, it's configured anyway (!). I think that it deserves immediate removal from inittab and rc.Xd in this case. The scariest thing of the daemon is that it reboots your machine in case it detects "brain split" (term borrowed from above mentioned thread). And, of course, no documentation on the CSS except brief note in the installation guide.