Re: 3GB RAM usage by Oracle

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 09:32:00 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<412adca8$0$30602$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> DGK wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the replies.
> >
> > The application was having very bad response time. As a first step, I
> > found that the RAM usage as follows:
> >
> > - Oracle: around 1.3GB
> > - Other Windows processes around: 0.2GB
> >
> > So I was thinking rest of the RAM (1.5GB) is not being utilised. Hence I
> > posted the question.
> >
> > Now I have tuned few of the SQL statements and found that response time
> > has increased.
>

> A good reply.
>
> A good riposte, too, to some posts made in another thread where throwing
> hardware at a tuning problem is considered by some to be an efficient,
> effective and cheap way of tuning.
>
> Thanks for the follow-up.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Hmmm.

I would have hoped that the objective (rather, goal) was to reduce the response time. But if you have achieved your deliverable of increasing response time and all parties involved are satisfied, then congrats.

btw - did you turn off the OS filesystem cache? if not, it will use approx 42% of physical memory for filesystem buffering.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Aug 24 2004 - 11:32:00 CDT