Re: Oracle development versions

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:19:41 GMT

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:50:27 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>Kenneth Koenraadt wrote:
>
>> On 23 Aug 2004 05:57:55 -0700, v.oosterbaan_at_chello.nl (SonO) wrote:
>>
>>>guiuriarte_at_yahoo.es (Guillermo Uriarte) wrote in message

>>>Nope, there isn't.
>>>
>>>Download Oracle 10G - it's only 1 CD.
>>>Just sign up (free) and check technet.oracle.com.
>>>Loads of information and downloads.
>>>Don't forget to RTFM before you start, they made it for a reason ;o)
>>

>> Especially, if you are installing it on a workstation running DHCP,
>> the 10g installer will complain that it cannot obtain an IP address.
>> Apparently, you can ignore these errors and install successfully
>> anyway.
>

>In my experience, you definitely can not ignore those errors, and the
>installation will be a complete pig if you try.
>
>10g goes utterly beserk on a DHCP machine, and there've been a number of
>posts to that effect made here over the months.
>
>Oracle itself in its installation guides is abundantly and unambiguously
>clear on the matter: DHCP is a no-no. They even provide the workaround: go
>install a loopback adapter and assign a fixed IP address to it. In that
>way, you can make a DHCP machine *look* as though it has a fixed IP
>address.
>
>I suppose you could look at that one way and say, "so you *can* install on a
>DHCP machine".

Exactly. My comment regarded a *workstation*, on which one would only install Oracle Server for testing. I have installed it on a workstation (which like 97,1% of all workstations runs DHCP), disregarded the errors and been able to test the new features without problems. It's unsupported and even immoral, but possible.

BTW, when I installed 20g together with an existing 9.2 it seemed to blow up the latter one....:--