Re: Problems Installing Oracle 9i on WinXP

From: Frank V. <jawzx2003_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 07:19:32 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<412a4546$0$2090$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Frank V. wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install (reinstall) Oracle 9i on to my windows XP
> > computer and I keep getting an error that I can't find and/or figure
> > out. I've searched in multiple locations and no one has even mentioned
> > this problem…
> >
> > Error:
> > "There was a problem in accessing the staging area. Please make sure
> > the specified values for ‘Source' and ‘Destination' are valid." This
> > occurs on the File Location page of the installer.
> >
> > One important note is that I've installed this exact installation
> > version on to the same computer before. The only major configuration
> > change is that I've added Service Pack 2 to my computer.
> >
> > I know that I have the hard disk space for installing this. Any
> > suggestion or recommendations will help out a lot. Thanks!
> >
> > -Frank V.
>
> Not a whole lot of information to go on. Are you installing from CD? And if
> so, is this a CD which Oracle supply, or one you've burnt the free
> downloads onto yourself? Perhaps you're installing from hard disk? Who can
> say.
>
> However you're installing, have you installed, onto another machine,
> successfully using the *exact same* installation *media*? I'm not sure what
> 'installing this exact installation version' means, but it could just mean
> 'I have previously had 9i on this machine', which is not the point.
>
> Failing problems with your installation media, there's only one possible
> test I can think of: use System Restore to a point just prior to applying
> SP2 (or restore that backup you took before applying it) and try again
> using the exact same installation media you have now. If it works, add
> another application to the cast of thousands which SP2 is reported to
> break. If it doesn't, then its likely your installation media, not Oracle
> and not Windows.
>
> Incidentally, I did once see an error message along those lines. Back in the
> 8i days, one of the ways of avoiding the Pentium IV bug was to copy
> everything onto the hard disk, and delete a file or two. I deleted a
> directory or three without noticing what I was doing... and fair enough,
> the installation complained about not being able to find the 'stage'
> directory (which is where all the juicy bits of the installation are
> stored). In that case, my installation media was stuffed.
>
> Another time I saw it was when I inadvertently touched the keyboard and
> added the letter "f" to the end of the field on one of the first screens
> you get to see, where the top half says 'path to installation' and the
> bottom says 'where do you want to install to'. Oracle rightly complained
> that e:\stage\products.infF (or whatever) didn't actually exist.
>
> On that occasion, the installation media was fine, but the installer was
> being unusually clumsy. Obviously, if you've tried repeated installations,
> [...]
HJR, Sorry about leaving that information out. I'm actually installing from a newly downloaded copy from Oracle's web site. I downloaded the one posted as the latest copy that was compatable w/ windows XP.

The other one that I had installed was also downloaded about 6 months ago from the exact same place. That one was also installed from my hard disk, then later from CD roms after i restored my computer.

I'm pretty sure that it is not my installation media. At this moment i am pretty sure that it is SP2 interfering w/ Oracle 9i. Regarding your suggestion on removing sp2, i've been running it since RC1 and do not want to take it out for fear of messing my computer up further. The reason I want to install oracle is for educational purposes, and have another installation other place.

Anyway, i'm at work and need to go. I hope this give you (or anyone else whom might have suggestions) the information that you need. I will, of course, check this later. THank you to everyone who gives input, or even just bothering to read this.

Frank V.
JawzX2003_at_yahoo.com Received on Tue Aug 24 2004 - 09:19:32 CDT