Re: table relationships

From: Jeff <idont_at_thinkso.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:03:10 -0700

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:ujoji0t6cnpbn4kfita4u5rf5re779g0ct_at_4ax.com...

> Ah
>
> There's nothing in Oracle, or any other dbms or pseudo-dbms that will
> necessarily give you that information.

MS Access will! HAHAHAHAHAHA Of course, that depends if the creator built the database properly. As for Oracle, I'm assuming that a major database application like the one I'm working with HAD do be designed properly with relationships defined somewhere. Or do I have too much faith?

> The closest thing you'll come
> to is examining the foreign-key definitions -- if they exist.
> Packaged apps are notorious for NOT defining them, preferring to
> enforce RI in the app instead of the database. You can query
> ALL_TABLES to get a list of tables, ALL_TAB_COLUMNS to get a list of
> columns, and ALL_TAB_COMMENTS and ALL_COL_COMMENTS (if they have been
> populated, and that's a big 'IF') to get table and column
> descriptions. ALL_DEPENDENCIES might (or might not) reveal anything
> of interest.
>
> Packaged apps are notorious for simply defining tables and columns,
> and those with cyptic names. No RI, no comments. The only knowledge
> of the data itself is in the app, not the DB. When this is the case
> there is there is nothing within the database to indicated that table
> MCOMITMAS is a child of table MCOMOTMAS nor that they are related by
> columns MCOMITMAS.COSQFL and MCOMOTMAS.CISQGL. Nothing to indicate
> that column SBEMFU.SBEMCJ, which is defined as a NUMBER is actually
> used to store dates . . . .
>
> I'm afraid your best bet to the knowledge you seek is documentation
> from the app vendor. Such documentation may or may not be made
> available. Vendors tend to see such information as trade secret.

That's very helpful. Thanks! Received on Mon Aug 23 2004 - 21:03:10 CDT