Re: table relationships

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2004 16:24:27 -0700

"Jeff" <idont_at_thinkso.com> wrote in message news:<Pw7Wc.92$4o.40_at_fed1read01>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Query the data dictionary views. Run this query for a list of them.
> >
> > SELECT view_name
> > FROM all_views
> > WHERE view_name LIKE 'ALL%';
> >
> > But why connect to Oracle with MS Access? An overwhelming desire to use
> > the worst possible tool to do the job?
>
> HAHAHAHA. No, us low ranking po' folk in the military don't have Oracle
> installed let alone get Oracle training, or ANY database training for that
> matter. All government desktop PCs come with Microsoft Access installed and
> I had to teach myself to use it. I have a couple of stand-alone
> applications I have to use that connect to an Oracle database, but the
> applications leave ALOT to be desired because I still have to build my own
> lists of data and compile statistics by hand over and over. If I can
> connect to the Oracle database with Access and ADO, I can build my own
> queries and reports once and be done with it at the click of a button
> whenever it's needed. Whether or not Access and ADO are the worst possible
> tools, it's still a hell of alot faster than doing it by hand the way I do
> it now. The Oracle database I tried to connect to turned out to have about
> 2000 tables with a jillion fields. I need to figure out what the
> relationships are before I can build my own queries.

Hmmm, when I was a gummint mil contractor a few years ago, it seemed there was a lot of online training available. Perhaps, really bad training, but there you go. Find out where the online training available to you is, and you might find a scrollable list that actually includes both unix and oracle. One thing you might check out is perl, which has oracle extensions as well as numerous places online with examples. You might also discover the gummint has pretty extensive site licensing, although you may need to discover how to find a demigod called a "DBA" to find out how to use that stuff. But for free, register on technet.oracle.com and you can download an amazing amount of stuff, as well as tutorials and other information. Not to mention your help desk might be able to give you licensed copies of stuff. If you can access an Oracle database, you must be authorized, right? There are a number of tools that help you figure out the relationships, too, no need to torture yourself (especially in the future, when you have to unlearn all the bad habits) with access. TOAD, or even Oracle's own SQL Worksheet are better just for starters.  You surely must be able to get official Oracle client software for accessing Oracle servers?

Assuming you aren't Libyan, or whatever.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_haven