Re: A comp.databases.oracle.server FAQ

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:34:08 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> FM wrote:
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>>Haven't had a chance to look at your material yet.
>>>
>>>10g on Suse 9.1, however, suffers from the same kernel-induced issue as
>>>Fedora Core 2 -namely, the need to rename oracle to oracle.bin and create
>>>a wrapper script to invoke it. Otherwise, it installs as painlessly as on
>>>any other distro.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>HJR
>>
>>Have you tried echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/disable_cap_mlock?
>>
>>It didn't worked for me but I was on SLES9 and on a x86-64 architecture.

> No, I haven't tried that. I have no experience with SLES9 at all, so I don't
> doubt you. The thing I was talking about is rather different, I think,
> since it has to do with a new feature of the 2.6 kernel which is enabled by
> default called HUGETLBFS. You have to set an environment variable,
> DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1, before invoking tools such as dbca... but you can't
> (apparently) just stick it in as part of your usual environment variable
> set. It needs to be in a wrapper script called 'oracle'. Details in the
> Google archive for this group (search for the thread "Help: 10g on Fedora
> Core 2, ORA-27125")
>
> Regards
> HJR
I know the issue and it is reported for SLES9 too (which has hugetlb enabled by default).
the echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/disable_cap_mlock seems to help for suse 9.1 on this issue but it doesn't work on SLES.

I'm still working on a way to make oracle work with hugetlb. If you set DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 in the user env only it is not passed by java to the oracle binary. You can see it with the command cat /proc/<PID>/environ
The java processes show DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1 but not the oracle one called by the former...

I was only curios about the disable_cap_mlock. I don't have the chance to try it by myself :(

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe