Re: A comp.databases.oracle.server FAQ

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:19:36 +1000

FM wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>> FM wrote:

>>>I have something under construction:
>>>http://www.gesinet.it/oracle/oracleonsuse.html
>>>maybe you can find something useful...
>>>
>>>And I'd like a couple of feedback.

>> Haven't had a chance to look at your material yet.
>>
>> 10g on Suse 9.1, however, suffers from the same kernel-induced issue as
>> Fedora Core 2 -namely, the need to rename oracle to oracle.bin and create
>> a wrapper script to invoke it. Otherwise, it installs as painlessly as on
>> any other distro.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>
> Have you tried echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/disable_cap_mlock?
>
> It didn't worked for me but I was on SLES9 and on a x86-64 architecture.

No, I haven't tried that. I have no experience with SLES9 at all, so I don't doubt you. The thing I was talking about is rather different, I think, since it has to do with a new feature of the 2.6 kernel which is enabled by default called HUGETLBFS. You have to set an environment variable, DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1, before invoking tools such as dbca... but you can't (apparently) just stick it in as part of your usual environment variable set. It needs to be in a wrapper script called 'oracle'. Details in the Google archive for this group (search for the thread "Help: 10g on Fedora Core 2, ORA-27125")

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Aug 23 2004 - 05:19:36 CDT