Re: DB Buffer Cache Size

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:22:40 +1000

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
>
>> Maybe when you have 100GB of RAM to throw at your caches (and a disk
>> subsystem to match) you can afford it. Most people can't.
>
> Arguable I'd say, given the overhead that this would generate.

The "Maybe" was my attempt to be polite about it!

When you have $6 million to spend on 700GB of RAM and several hundred CPUs, I suppose you can indeed cope with whatever overheads Oracle throws your way.

The relevance of that to real people in the real world, however, is more than a little questionable.

I think Xho said it all with his space shuttle/Greyhound comment.

Regards
HJR