Re: Type of shutdown

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 05:51:11 +1000

marjina98_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It has been nearly four days since I posted me last quetion.
> Could someone from this forum should give me the
>
> the solution?

> marjina98_at_hotmail.com wrote in message

>> Hi Howard,
>>
>> As you mentioned, I set the values in the following registries:
>>
>> ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT=5
>> ORA_SID_SHUTDOWNTYPE=n
>> ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN=true
>>
>> And then reboot the machine and then Log in a user to the database,
>> and leave him logged in. Then stop the service. This process
>> immediately stops the service and disconnected the user.
>> So in other words shutdown abort occurred again.
>> There is only one instance running on machine.
>> I am using version 8.1.7.0 on Windows 2000 server.
>>
>> Regarding the ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT registry I tried to set several
>> values like 5 then 20, then 30, then 100.
>> Each time after setting the values to this registry, I reboot my
>> machine, but the result was same every time, as I discussed above.

Having tested it, and gotten the results I posted earlier (that with SHUTDOWN_TYPE=n and _TIMEOUT=5, and an ordinary database user logged in, I was unable to shutdown the service *at all* -meaning that the TYPE was being honoured, but the TIMEOUT wasn't), I can't comment further.

There are too many unknowns. How do I know you're editing the right registry keys? There are many hives you could be in. You're running an unpatched version of 8i (I was running 8.1.7.3). My Windows 2000 was clean and fresh... yours might not be. And so on.

You've also had an answer from another quarter if I remember correctly, which solves the problem completely, though you might not like it: don't try and close down your databases by starting and stopping services. Use SQL*Plus and startup/shutdown commands. Or use oradim to do the job.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Aug 22 2004 - 14:51:11 CDT