Re: backup large blob file

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:41:24 +0200

Thomas wrote:
> My oracle 8i's blob is already too big for cold tar backup. Is there any
> other good solution in dealing with large blob file backup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas

There must be something in the air, right? First Dani Speh with an index file that turned out to be a datafile, now you with a blobfile....

You've got a tablespace with a datafile that's probably set to autoextend which is a Bad Idea (TM) as you've found out by now. Set your datafiles to autoextend off and add datafiles in manageable sizes to the tablespace when you need them.

And since December isn't to far from know (in IT Terms at least) and your version of Oracle is going to be desupported by then, I'd suggest you move to 9i or higher and learn about RMAN. That's not only a good solution with blobs but with your database backup in general.

HTH Holger Received on Fri Aug 20 2004 - 10:41:24 CDT