Re: Slowness on insert statemente

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:39:41 +0200

Ed Stevens wrote:

> On 18 Aug 2004 18:07:52 -0700, joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote:
>

>>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1092753065.997815_at_yasure>... >>
[deletia]

>>Also, there is the possibility that there are many more extents being
>>in one than the other, and the extents are too small, and every time
>>there is an insert those dictionary tables that track the extents are
>>thrashing.  Use larger extents, or LMT.
>>
>>jg

> So, are you saying that the number of extents is a performance impact?
> I thought that had been put to bed.

That is not what I read; I read about inserts, small extents and a dictionary managed tablespace, that extends on about every insert. Some reading between the lines required :) Wouldn't you agree that the overhead of space management in a dictionary based system impacts performance?

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel