Re: Type of shutdown

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2004 17:38:42 -0700

marjina98_at_hotmail.com wrote in message news:<24bfee06.0408180710.74bdd3ab_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks all of you again.
> As you mentioned I set the value n (normal) or t(transactional) to the
> associate registry as we discussed earlier and then reboot the machine
> to make changes take effect.
> But this process still perform only shutdown abort , when I stop the
> instance via windows services.
> There is only one instance running on my machine.
> O/s is windows 2000 server.
>
> How should I know that this process only perform shutdown abort,
> because I checked the alert log file every time after shuting down the
> instance via windows services.
> Something like following written in the alert log:
> crash recovery is going on........
>
> And I think its means that shutdown abort took place.
>
> I think it does'nt work on windows what ever value like (i,a,t,n) set
> for the registry type which we discusssed earlier.
> Could you please confirm that matter and give me your suggestion?
>
> Thanks
>
> Benazir
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41232a58$0$25948$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > Frank van Bortel wrote:

> > > ORA_SID_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT:
> > > sets the maximum time to wait before the service
> > > for a particular SID stops.
> > > Also: Sets the maximum time to wait for the shutdown to complete
> > > before the service for a particular SID stops.
> > > (Getting started Manual, ch. 10, and appendix C)
> >
> > Yeah, that's what the documentation says.
> >
> > Interesting little experiment though: set the TIMEOUT to, say, 5. Set the
> > shutdown type to 'n' for normal. Reboot the machine to make the changes
> > take effect. Log in a user to the database, and leave him logged in. Then
> > try to stop the service.
> >
> > The logged in user should prevent the shutdown normal taking place. But the
> > TIMEOUT setting should, I would have thought, cause the service to stop
> > regardless after X seconds.
> >
> > Well, on my Windows 2000 + Oracle 8.1.7 set up, the service never shut down.
> >
> > Just thought I'd mention it.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=1638610 among others.

For those of you without metalink, that would be a bug in some versions where crash recovery is required perhaps because the authentication adapter doesn't allow the shutdown when it should, and the recovery hangs. There are some other bugs or notes that I can't find with a quick perusal that I've seen in the past, since I ran into similar things with 9.1, so I'd say to the OP, look around some on metalink. There was one I was looking for that I couldn't find that basically was closed as not feasible to fix, blaming MS.

The net result is, you don't want to shutdown services, but rather use batch files and oradim.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"When I was roaming around in the source tree, I seem to see