Re: Hang when adding/resizing datafile

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2004 13:52:20 -0700

"miam" <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<cfvn1m$60v$1_at_news-reader1.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello
>
> I have a problem with Oracle 8i 8.1.6 on Linux Redhat 8.0 when I use :
> alter tablespace ... add datafile '...' size 2000M;
> Or :
> alter tablespace ... add datafile '...' size 100M; (works well)
> then :
> alter database datafile '...' resize 2000M;
>
> In this 2 cases, I have no error, but the statement doesn't return
> control.
> The oracle process on the server takes more and more cpu time, but the
> hdd does nothing and the file has its required size on the disk.
> I can't kill the process (I have tried kill -15, kill -9, and every
> signal)
> The only way : I must reboot the server
>
> But when I restart the server and the database,
> If I was adding the datafile, it is not mounted.
> If I was resizing the datafile, it is not resized.
>
> I have this problem on 2 different machines of my customers
>
> What is this ?
> And Oracle bug ? A Linux bug ?
> I have not find it on internet :((
>
> Thanks for your answers...

How long did you give it? Oracle has to "format" the file, and that can take a long time. 816 may have bugs, too, patch it up. So write a loop that extends it 100M at a time if you are impatient. That might pick up any "large files" type of problem, too. You probably shouldn't use files near 2G with older versions anyways, see http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=62427.1

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Not exactly "The Last Convertible:"