Re: Thinking about archived redo-logs SIZE

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2004 13:10:46 -0700

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<412365DE.5411_at_yahoo.com>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
> >
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<412171b6$0$11790$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > >
> > > Unless you are in the habit of forcing log switches by hand, you can be
> > > assured that the two logs of yours which are not the current redo log are
> > > 100% full, give or take a little slack space.
> > >

> > I'm in the unix habit of using cron for log switches, as I don't
> > particularly want to explain to management why the transactions on
> > Saturday were unrecoverably lost, just 'cause there were less of them
> > than during the week.
> >
> > A nice side effect is you can get a quick visual logarithmic usage
> > graph just by doing ls -l on the archive log directory and looking at
> > the byte counts.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > The desert is a dangerous place.
> > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/08/17/state1429EDT7694.DTL
>
> archive_lag_target can be used from v9 onwards which does the same thing
> and has the smarts to 'reset' itself when a log fills up by itself

Yes, I read the thread :-)

That gets rid of the side-effect, of course. I'm just amazed it took Oracle so long to have such a useful parameter that maps so well to an SLA for restoration time granularity. Trying to do it by buffer and log sizing is like juggling fish.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Visitors, like fish, should be thrown out after three days." - Dear