Re: exp DB -> Binary file size??

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:25:02 +0200

On 18 Aug 2004 09:25:06 -0700, qazmlp1209_at_rediffmail.com (qazmlp) wrote:

>The size of the Oracle Database that we have in our Solaris machine
>is:'N' GB. We want to use 'exp' utility to export this DB into a file.
>What will be the size of that binary file? Does Oracle provide some
>specification on this?

No, they don't. Actually they hardly can't. If you are on 8i and higher you can use the filesize parameter and files= parameter to make sure the exp is going to various files. You could also export to a pipe, and read the pipe in a separate process to compress it.

Exp is btw a server product and with 'tools' frontend tools like Forms and Jdeveloper are intended.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA