Re: Thinking about archived redo-logs SIZE

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:21:18 +0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<412171b6$0$11790$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> >
> > Unless you are in the habit of forcing log switches by hand, you can be
> > assured that the two logs of yours which are not the current redo log are
> > 100% full, give or take a little slack space.
> >

> I'm in the unix habit of using cron for log switches, as I don't
> particularly want to explain to management why the transactions on
> Saturday were unrecoverably lost, just 'cause there were less of them
> than during the week.
>
> A nice side effect is you can get a quick visual logarithmic usage
> graph just by doing ls -l on the archive log directory and looking at
> the byte counts.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> The desert is a dangerous place.
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/08/17/state1429EDT7694.DTL

archive_lag_target can be used from v9 onwards which does the same thing and has the smarts to 'reset' itself when a log fills up by itself

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"