Hang when adding/resizing datafile

From: miam <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:51:06 +0200

Hello

I have a problem with Oracle 8i 8.1.6 on Linux Redhat 8.0 when I use : alter tablespace ... add datafile '...' size 2000M; Or :
alter tablespace ... add datafile '...' size 100M; (works well) then :
alter database datafile '...' resize 2000M;

In this 2 cases, I have no error, but the statement doesn't return control.
The oracle process on the server takes more and more cpu time, but the hdd does nothing and the file has its required size on the disk. I can't kill the process (I have tried kill -15, kill -9, and every signal)
The only way : I must reboot the server

But when I restart the server and the database, If I was adding the datafile, it is not mounted. If I was resizing the datafile, it is not resized.

I have this problem on 2 different machines of my customers

What is this ?
And Oracle bug ? A Linux bug ?
I have not find it on internet :((

Thanks for your answers... Received on Wed Aug 18 2004 - 08:51:06 CDT