Re: When i recover Oracle database....

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:29:26 +1000

¹ÚÇü¼® wrote:

> On Oracle 9i, I'm tried to recover database using rman.
> I know that i have to do next sequence.
>
> 1. shutdown database.
> 2. startup with mount option.
> 3. start rman with catalog database.
> 4. recover.
> 5. restore.
>
> But, i have a problem.
> When rman start, error occurred.
> That is Oracle is "ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress", or "not
> connected to ORACLE"

Are you really going to ask the same question three different times, in three different ways, in three different threads?

You think that is a sensible way to do things?

> More detail message is....
>

> ------
> [oracle_at_expr oracle]$ /oracle/product/9.2.0/bin/rman target sys/ukigima
> catalog rman_901/ukigima_at_ora9
>
> Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
>
> Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> connected to target database: ORA9 (DBID=298303666)
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
> RMAN-04004: error from recovery catalog database: ORA-01033: ORACLE
> initialization or shutdown in progress
>

> ------
> RMAN> shutdown immediate;

Now why would you issue that command?

You have two databases to be concerned about here. The target database, and the catalog database. The error message says there is a problem with the catalog database. Guess which database you've just shut down (here's a clue: it's not the catalog database).

> database closed
> database dismounted
> Oracle instance shut down
>
> RMAN> startup mount;
>
> connected to target database (not started)
> Oracle instance started
> database mounted
>
> Total System Global Area 236000356 bytes
>
> Fixed Size 451684 bytes
> Variable Size 201326592 bytes
> Database Buffers 33554432 bytes
> Redo Buffers 667648 bytes
>
> RMAN> reset database to incarnation 2;
>
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-03002: failure of reset command at 08/18/2004 10:32:21
> RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: ORA-03114: not
> connected to ORACLE

Yup: if all else fails, just don't read the error messages or try to understand them!

You were told, by RMAN: there is a problem with your CATALOG database. You, however, decide to shutdown and startup mount your TARGET database, and then proceed to issue RMAN commands as if you've addressed the original problem.

You haven't. So of course it will refuse to work.

> When i work something on RMAN, error occurred as mentioned above evertime.
> How to solve this problem?

Try and understand what it is you are doing. Try and understand what RMAN wants you to do. Try and understand the enormity of the gulf between the two.

HJR Received on Tue Aug 17 2004 - 21:29:26 CDT