Re: How Oracle find rows to delete in an index

From: Bruno Jargot <see_at_reply-to.invalid>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:13:48 +0200

Hi Christian,

Christian Antognini wrote:

> "Bruno Jargot" wrote in message

> > Will Oracle do a range scan in the index I2 after finding the value of
> > C2 in the table ?
>
> This is the only way to locate an index entry... a simple tests confirm this
> sequence as well...

Thanks for the explanation.

So it could explain my problem :

I've a very big table with 4 indexes :
- 2 of them are discrimants
- 2 are not discriminants

delete on these table take long time. A lot more time than on another table with similar volume but with only 2 (discriminants) indexes.

I don't think that's the two more indexes are enough to justify the difference of time. But the fact that the 2 indexes are not discriminants could lead Oracle to take a lot of time to locate the row to delete on these index.

I will try to do a trace tomorrow but could my explanation be correct ?

--
Bruno Jargot