Re: Adding rollback

From: bw <bunjibry_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2004 11:08:20 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41221dde$0$3928$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> >> Now why would you get him to query that view and in that way?
> >>
> >> For meaningful output, you'd surely want him to select DISTINCT
> >> segment_name from dba_undo_extents.
> >>
> >> But then if you were going to do that, you might as well simply select
> >> segment_name from dba_rollback_segs... a view which is just as 'current'
> >> in 9i and 10g as any with the buzz-word 'undo' in it.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> HJR
> >
> > Because it was the first query that came to mind that would quickly
> > indicate that there were undo segments.
>
> It was a rhetorical question. The point actually was: dba_rollback_segs
> tells you all you need to know about UNDO segments, too.
>
> In the rush to modernity that is 8i and 9i, let's not throw the 7 and 8.0
> babies out with the bathwater.
>
> > No other reason. And it pointed
> > the OP to the appropriate data dictionary view.
>
> My point exactly. It's a dictionary view, of course. And it has its uses,
> obviously. But it's not exactly "appropriate" for finding out which undo
> segments you have (if any) and what they're called.
>
> Would you query dba_extents to find out the names of the tables that exist
> in the database?
>
> That's a rhetorical question, too, btw.
>
> Regards
> HJR
Thanks to all for your help and education. as it turns out, the UNDO_MANAGEMENT param is set to manual and we are running from the spfile. Im still shaky on ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS as it relates to this issue. UNDO_MANAGEMENT set to manual and ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS set to null in the parameter file are confusing me. does oracle still generate the needed rollback based on the calculation of the TRANSACTIONS and TRANSACTIONS_PER_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT parameters? Received on Tue Aug 17 2004 - 13:08:20 CDT