Re: Adding a column takes ages

From: Marc Eggenberger <marc.eggenberger_at__REMOVE_itc.alstom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:47:33 +0200

In article <1092752479.785331_at_yasure>, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu says...

[...]

> Problem 1: A version of Oracle almost as old as you are.

Dont think so ... I'm pretty old already .. but yes its stone age ... as I said, should have been moved already to 9i. The db team can start in 5min .. everything has been tested etc, they're just fighting which departement should pay the whole thing ... and yes, I wont be here for too long ...

> Problem 2: Why PCTUSED 40 on the table?
> Problem 3: Why are initial and next extents different sizes?
> Problem 4: Why PCTINCREASE anything other than 0
> Problem 5: Why PCTFREE 10 in a primary key? Plan on editing it?

Dont know. Have been called today because it "doesnt work ...." Havent been responsible for this db. Most of it is done by an external company and today someone from there called me ...

> When adding a column Oracle tries to lock the table. Is it perhaps
> already locked or constantly in use?

Nahhh ... much more easier .... Raid System was faulty. Was doing a rebuild all the time and setting was to use fast rebuild (which means not much performance left for normal use). At least thats what I've been told by the sysadmin team. And because there were also 2 triggers on the table it then took ages with that degraded disk i/o system. TKPROF helped. Now it works again without problems.

Thanks for your hints anyways.

--
mfg
Marc Eggenberger