Re: Thinking about archived redo-logs SIZE

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 17 Aug 2004 06:28:23 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<41219480$0$18394$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> > ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET forces a log switch after the time specified.
>

> That is 10g specific, if I'm not much mistaken.

Not true.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning and Real Application Clusters options JServer Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production

SQL> set linesize 800
SQL> show parameters archive_lag

NAME                                 TYPE
VALUE
------------------------------------ --------------------------------
---------
archive_lag_target                   integer
180

As you can see it is already there in 9i. From Oracle 9i Reference:

ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET
ARCHIVE_LAG_TARGET limits the amount of data that can be lost and effectively
increases the availability of the standby database by forcing a log switch after a
user-specified time period elapses.
A 0 value disables the time-based thread advance feature; otherwise, the value
represents the number of seconds. Values larger than 7200 seconds are not of much
use in maintaining a reasonable lag in the standby database. The typical, or
recommended value is 1800 (30 minutes). Extremely low values can result in
frequent log switches, which could degrade performance; such values can also
make the archiver process too busy to archive the continuously generated logs.
Parameter type Integer
Default value 0 (disabled)
Parameter class Dynamic: ALTER SYSTEM
Range of values 0 or any integer in [60, 7200] Real Application
Clusters
Multiple instances should use the same value.

with regards

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.