Re: Adding rollback

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:50:59 +1000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> bw wrote:
>

>> I have inherited a 9.2.0 database where the only rollback segments
>> that exist are what was created for SYSTEM.  Can I get away with
>> adding the needed rollback segments (RBS01... etc.) to the init.ora,
>> creating them in the existing RBS tablespace?  Once this has been
>> completed do I then bounce the instance so they are recognized via the
>> init.ora?

> SELECT segment_name
> FROM dba_undo_extents;
>
> Unless this query returns no rows I'd suggest you get yourself
> current with the 9i and 10g docs.

Now why would you get him to query that view and in that way?

For meaningful output, you'd surely want him to select DISTINCT segment_name from dba_undo_extents.

But then if you were going to do that, you might as well simply select segment_name from dba_rollback_segs... a view which is just as 'current' in 9i and 10g as any with the buzz-word 'undo' in it.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 21:50:59 CDT