Re: Thinking about archived redo-logs SIZE

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:46:47 +1000

José Arango wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to figure out the size of the archived redo-logs. First,
> imagine this scenario. My redo logs are of size 10MB (each one of the
> three I have). How can I know the percentage occupancy on these redo logs?
> After a redo log switch, the DB switches to the other one (imagine there
> are no transactions) how can I notice the difference between this redo log
> (with no actual transaction) and one that is about to fill up? ...since by
> looking at the size I can't never tell.
>
> Also...when the archiver moves the old redo log..to the archive
> destination..does it moves the complete (10MB) file to the archive
> destination? Or does it just takes the "actual data within the file" in
> order not to waste resources? I'm thinking it would be a waste of time
> copying the old redo-log (full 10MB) to the archive destination since that
> redo log doesn't have really actual transactions.
>
> Example: If there'a a 10MB redo log (with 20% usage)..and then occurs a
> log switch...will the final archived redo-log be 2MB?
>
> Of course, I'm assuming the DB has a time interval (let's say 30 minutes)
> in which the log switch will be performed...
>
> I don't have a DB with me right now so I can't test.
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jose

ARCn takes an intelligent copy of redo data. It does not do byte-for-byte copies of the online logs as 'copy' or 'cp' would do. Therefore, if you have 2MB actually used in a 10MB log, and you manually force a log switch, the resulting archive will be 2MB in size.

There is no log switch interval on the database (unless you create one by scheduling a job to switch logs). Log switches otherwise only happen when one online log fills up, and further redo is generated which needs to be written somewhere.

If you want to know the percentage occupancy of an online redo log, you can delve into SYS.X$KCCCP. The column labelled CPODR_BNO shows you the Current Position Of the Database Redo Block Number. Multiply by (usually) 512 bytes to get the position in more meaningful terms. For example, if it displays 500, it means 256KB of redo has been written into the current log. The number resets at each log switch.

Unless you are in the habit of forcing log switches by hand, you can be assured that the two logs of yours which are not the current redo log are 100% full, give or take a little slack space.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 21:46:47 CDT