Thinking about archived redo-logs SIZE

From: José Arango <arango_at_caribe.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:15:56 -0400

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the size of the archived redo-logs. First, imagine this scenario. My redo logs are of size 10MB (each one of the three I have). How can I know the percentage occupancy on these redo logs? After a redo log switch, the DB switches to the other one (imagine there are no transactions) how can I notice the difference between this redo log (with no actual transaction) and one that is about to fill up? ...since by looking at the size I can't never tell.

Also...when the archiver moves the old redo log..to the archive destination..does it moves the complete (10MB) file to the archive destination? Or does it just takes the "actual data within the file" in order not to waste resources? I'm thinking it would be a waste of time copying the old redo-log (full 10MB) to the archive destination since that redo log doesn't have really actual transactions.

Example: If there'a a 10MB redo log (with 20% usage)..and then occurs a log switch...will the final archived redo-log be 2MB?

Of course, I'm assuming the DB has a time interval (let's say 30 minutes) in which the log switch will be performed...

I don't have a DB with me right now so I can't test.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jose Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 21:15:56 CDT