Re: How to fire a stored proc from a query window

From: Thomas Gaines <Thomas.Gaines_at_noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:08:12 -0600

Lee wrote:

> We've been working with Oracle (10g) for a couple months and we are
> just now trying to fire a stored proc from a query window (Sql/Plus or
> 3rd party utility)
>
> I would like to call the proc declared below and have the results
> returned, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to call it.
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE SA.USP_LEES_TEST_SP (
> strAgentCode IN CHAR DEFAULT NULL,
> RC1 IN OUT Omwb_emulation.globalPkg.RCT1)
> AS
> < snip>
>
> I've tried things like the following, but nothing works:
> EXECUTE sa.usp_Lees_Test_Sp('12345'),

Here, you're undoubtedly receiving this error: PLS-00306: wrong number or types of arguments in call to 'USP_LEES_TEST_SP'

Which argument is '12345' supposed to correspond with? You've specified two.
You probably want to do something like this:

exec sa.usp_Lees_Test_Sp(strAgentCode =>'12345', :dummy_var);

where var has been declared in SQL*Plus or whatever environment you're using.
In SQL*Plus, you'd do it like this:

variable dummy_var Omwb_emulation.globalPkg.RCT1

I don't know what the Omwb_emulation.globalPkg.RCT1 type is, but this should probably work.

How does this sound to you? Like Dave said, what errors are you receiving. Small details like this are often quite helpful...

Tom