Re: Quest Shareplex 3.2 Migrating from Oracle8i to Oracle9i

From: Prem K Mehrotra <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2004 08:33:31 -0700

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0408151102.4e5cafd4_at_posting.google.com>...
> Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<1iiTc.119900$8_6.44117_at_attbi_s04>...
> > The Oracle 'equivalent' to Shareplex is Data Guard (not RAC), and in
> > fact a move to Data Guard (assuming you are already using Enterprise
> > Edition) would help you with your limted budget by saving you the cost
> > of Shareplex. Your Oracle licence costs would remain the same in both
> > scenarios.
>
> He doesn't told us what's the purpose of using Shareplex. It is true
> that Shareplex is costly, on the other it is much more powerfull then
> Oracle's Data Guard, so maybe using DG is not a viable option for him.

Susan:

What way Shareplex is more powerful than Data Guard? I am under the impression
that in Shareplex, one can use the "standby" database for reporing all the time. Is that true? I know one can do the same in Logical standby of Oracle's Data Guard, but logical standby still has many limitations in Oracle9i.

At my site, they do no use reporting features of Shareplex because during reporting, some data is being inserted in the database, so SharePlex is being
used as a "standby" DR database.

Thanks a lot,

Prem Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 10:33:31 CDT