Re: Shared Pool: Can it be filled *over* 100% ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:13:41 +1000

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:45:51 +1000, Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> If someone gets hold of a query of yours, it doesn't help much to say
>> "buy my books to find out why it might not work". Which book? Which page
>> number? Much easier just to comment the code itself, don't you think?

> The book in question is Oracle8i Administration and Management, a very
> complete book that was rivaling the first edition of Tom Kyte's expert
> 1-on-1. While Tom's book is stronger on the practical side, and shows the
> tricks like setting event with set_ev reading them with read_ev, Mike's
> book was more bent on the internals and was the only book that I know that
> was discussing things like V$DBWR_WRITE_LOG, a view that was gone in 9i.
> Mike's book was an ideal book for someone making a transition from Oracle7
> to Oracle8i, which is precisely what I was at the time I bought it. Mike
> also has a very good book about the 10g new features, which is more
> complete then Robert Freeman's. Of course, I don't speak for Mike, and I'm
> not employed by him. In fact, I've never met him in person.

I wasn't intending that we'd get into a critique of Mike's authoring prowess. Particularly since the man himself mentioned bookS in the plural, and not just the one book you mention here.

The issue was merely that if he would imbed caveats such as 'this query is indicative only and percentages greater than 100 are possible' INSIDE the sql scripts themselves, as comments, then there would be no need to refer people to separate publications to find the caveats.

And there would be less likelihood that people would get confused by apparently-meaningless outputs in the first place.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Aug 15 2004 - 21:13:41 CDT