Re: Quest Shareplex 3.2 Migrating from Oracle8i to Oracle9i

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 03:12:45 GMT

Prem K Mehrotra wrote:

> I am suprised why Oracle 10G Standard Edition (SE) includes RAC but not
> Oracle10G Enterprise Edition (EE). List price for 10G EE per processor is
> $40000 but for SE it is only $15000.

I was as well.

Look at the limits - SE was only available on a frame capable of 1-4 CPU, no partitioning allowed, etc. The way I read Oracle info they've changed the rules to state any combination of servers to a maximum [capability] of 4 CPU. (http://www.oracle.com/database/Standard_Edition.html) IMO, that makes RAC/SE a 1-trick pony - small business/workgroup HA only but right in the Windows & Linux 'small business cluster' sweet spot. Although that' pretty powerful in it's own right.

Still, a LOT of organization buy (or at least look at) EE because they think they have to compare Oracle EE to SQL Server EE. Then they look at the price difference, without having spent 1 second on the feature difference, and gag. Whereas a 5 second feature evaluation would come to the realization that many of the capabilities they want are in Oracle SE - roughly priced against [it's true competitor] SS-EE.

For your purposes, you might just want to see whether a Linux cluster with SE could fit your test requirements.

/Hans Received on Sat Aug 14 2004 - 22:12:45 CDT