Re: acccessing the sample database on oracle 10g

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:41:04 GMT

Nospam wrote:

> I have installed oracle 10g on red hat linu 9. I am wondering what I type
> to access the sample dataase scott/tiger v$ession. what do I type after
>
> sysdba /nolog
>
> to access and manipulate the sample databases?
>
> thanks

  1. Go to http://otn.oracle.com

In the 'Select Training' box (bottom, right side), click on Oracle By Example.

In 'Product Areas' section, click on 'Oracle Database, and follow the installation for 10g. It does give you some hints.

2) Go to http://docs.oracle.com and pick up the Concepts manual. Read that several times. The manual is available for each version of the database.

3) Understand that the 'command line tool' is sqlplus. It exists in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory. If you can not get 'sqlplus' at the Linux command line to respond, you have not configured the system right - go back to the install discussion.

If sqlplus responds, enter the user name and password. If you have installed with all defaults the users (OE, SH, HR, and SCOTT) will be created but not unlocked so you would probably log onto SYSTEM something like

sqlplus

   system

sqlplus

   scott

(Failures, especially those who have experience with other 'systems', think they know better and can't be bothered to read. You're not a failure, are you?)

/Hans Received on Sat Aug 14 2004 - 11:41:04 CDT