Re: acccessing the sample database on oracle 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:19:50 +1000

Nospam wrote:

> I have installed oracle 10g on red hat linu 9. I am wondering what I type
> to access the sample dataase scott/tiger v$ession. what do I type after
>
> sysdba /nolog
>
> to access and manipulate the sample databases?
>
> thanks

Connecting to a database:

connect / as sysdba (connects you as SYS, which is an administrative account, and therefore not a good idea to do for regular use).

connect scott/tiger connects you as Scott, password tiger

Connect user/password is the generic idea.

After that, you start issuing SQL commands. For example, after connecting as Scott, password tiger, try select * from emp;

If you log on as user hr, password hr, try select * from employees.

Once you've got that far, visit http://tahiti.oracle.com, and start reading the documentation. You will need at least the Concepts guide. It's all free, all readily available. You may need to create an account first, if you don't already have one... but that is easily, and freely, done.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Aug 14 2004 - 09:19:50 CDT