Re: Is Raid 5 really that bad for Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:35:13 -0700

Harry_Boswell_at_deq.state.ms.us wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:13:07 +0800, Connor McDonald
> <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>>The performance difference between SAN and NAS used to be of critical
>>>importance. I am not seeing enough difference these days to justify
>>>the huge difference in price. Is anyone having a different experience?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>>University of Washington
>>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
>>
>>The next version of NFS (is it 4?) is touted to resolve a lot of the
>>issues with NAS.  I know of a few clients (albeit hardly massive
>>database activity) that are happily running oracle on netapp
>>

> OK..... having read through (most of) these replies, I'm wondering
> what I should make of them. I'm currently running RAID 5 - 2 A1000s -
> and there's no money to go buy new disk systems. So, do I take from
> this that I should reconfigure to RAID 0, or RAID 1? Should I put my
> redo logs on non-RAID drives? Should I tell my network guys, who are
> wanting to marry their Wintel servers and my Solaris servers "over my
> dead body"?
>
> Harry

If you don't have an I/O problem leave it alone and find something else to do like read the alert logs. If you have an I/O problem is it related to reads or writes? If reads leave it alone. If writes than it is time to convince management to spend money or more disk and reconfigure to 0+1. If they won't spend the money ... then the problem is theirs so leave it alone.