Re: Is Raid 5 really that bad for Oracle?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:25:34 -0500

On 2004-07-31, joe bayer <joebayerii_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am quoting from Jonathan Lewis's book, Practical Oracle 8i, page 206
>
> Raid 5 has an undeservedly bad reputation as far as Oracle database systems
> are concerned. ....
> However, for most small systems, it is almost necessary and perfectly
> acceptable; and for many large systems it is totally adequate.
[deletia]

	Can you tolerate your applications stopping while they wait for
	a higher latency disk to commit a write? This is what Oracle does
	any time you commit. So the latency of the disks you write redo
	logs to can be rather critical.

	RAID5 increases latency.

	That's just the performance argument.

	RAID5 is also remarkably less robust.

--
It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

        They brought us the email virus.

	In my Atari days, such a notion would have             |||
	been considered a complete absurdity.                 / | \