Re: Partitioned table or several smaller tables?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:12:35 -0700

John wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> Say I have 3 tables with same structure and differnet data, one
> current the other 2 historical. I only occasionally need to access the
> historical data. Would you put 3 of them into a single partitioned
> table? Why? Thanks for sharing!
>
> John

Based on what you've indicated I'd put it all together into a single table and find something else to concern myself with.

On the other hand if you gave version and edition information, some sense of the number of rows and how the table(s) are used I might conclude the cost of the partitioning option quite reasonable.

But assuming the partitioning option is already paid for ... I'd always use a partitioned table.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington