Re: Which Protocol to use?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:35:19 +0200

Mark Bole wrote:
> Ana C. Dent wrote:
>

>> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in

>> The ONLY difference between TCP & BEQ is that BEQ does NOT require a
>> listener. Keep in mind the listener ONLY comes into play upon the initial
>> connection request. After the initial connection has been made the
>> same code path is used by both protocols.

Did not know that - surely not true on 8i for AIX (the last version/platform I tested network performance on)

> The OP asked about performance, which could require some benchmark
> testing. What is the performance goal? Probably TCP/IP, even locally,
> could meet the goal on modern hardware, with the benefit of consistent
> service definitions across your organization.
>
> I saw one mention of IPC (interprocess communication) earlier in the
> thread. I have used IPC protocol with the listener for the remote end
> of a database link when the local database was on the same server.
> (Solaris and Linux, ver 8i onward).
>
> What is the difference (other than syntax) between BEQ and IPC? I've
> always wondered and found one proffered explanation:
>
> [untested] "IPC uses Unix Domain Sockets to communicate between the
> client-side and server-side processes, where BEQ uses Unix pipes".
>
> Another search, however, makes a different claim. Does it make sense to
> define a service using BEQ in the listener.ora file at any time? Does a
> local login to SQL*Plus or other client tools use the BEQ protocol by
> default if no connect string is specified and you are on the local
> machine? (example: nid target=sys/passwd dbname=nnn ... note no
> connect string is specified).
>
> --Mark Bole

I'd prefer BEQ or IPC for local connections; TCP for remote. As I haven't tested network performance for some time now, it's just an old habit - which maybe superseded/plain silly by now.
As I have some time to abide, I may do some tests, if I feel like it.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel