function that returns a cursor

From: Ernest Morariu <ernest_at_gesora.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:28:24 +0200

Hi All !

I want to create a function/procedure that takes some parameters, make some processing and finally return a resultset/cursor/table to the client(ADO).

My problem is that I don't know how to return the resultset. In the documentation, all of the samples of procedures/functions show how to insert/delete/update records but they do not show how to return resultsets.

I don't know what to declare as return type for a function returning a resultset. Should I use a TableType ? a cursor ? a generic cursor ? a record type ? a object row type with pipelined ?

Consider I want to return a resultset having the following structure : ID Number(16,0)
FirstName varchar2(30)
LastName varchar2(30)

Help me to create a function like this:

Create function GetMyData(prm varchar2) return <??????> AS
BEGIN
-- doing some things

/*
show me how to return the result of the following command to the client : SELECT ID, FirstName, LastName From MyTable Where FirstName Like prm */

END; Best regards,
ernest Received on Fri Aug 13 2004 - 02:28:24 CDT