Re: DBA Jobs

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:49:35 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Thought everyone would like to read this email I received from someone
> that sells hardware for IBM (not DB2). So ends up in a lot of Oracle
> shops.

> As to the tuning question, well, I've heard several IT directors say
> something to the effect of "We could invest in people, or tools. We
> chose tools". The new automation features in 10G seem to reinforce those
> opinions. It's getting disturbing out there.
>
> So those who think they can still be command line DBAs ... wake up
> and smell the alphabet soup (ASM, ADDM, GRID, OEM, etc.).

You can be any kind of DBA someone is willing to pay you to be (or, as a hobby, without even that restriction). If what you are saying is, it's good for your IT career to keep up with current technology, when hasn't that been the case?

As for the IT directors, they've always invested in tools, it's not a choice -- that's what businesses do. It would be like a hospital director saying, "we could invest in medical devices, or doctors. We choose medical devices". The statement doesn't really convey much useful information.

--Mark Bole Received on Thu Aug 12 2004 - 22:49:35 CDT