Deadlock Graph, and some questions.

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2004 09:06:15 -0500

Here is a snippet from a trace file, and I have put in "?????" delimeters for my particular questions:

    INSERT INTO deal_asset_h

                   (
                   id

,asset_id, colat_id, dl_id
,target_group_id
) VALUES ( :b5
,:b4, :b3, :b2
,:b1
)

    End of information on OTHER waiting sessions.
D ??????????????????????

    PROCESS STATE

    Process global information:
         process: 1C251E10, call: 1C2DB20C, xact: 1CBDF420, curses: 1C27DE4C, usrses: 1C27DE4C
      SO: 1C251E10, type: 2, owner: 00000000, flag: INIT/-/-/0x00
      (process) Oracle pid=16, calls cur/top: 1C2DB20C/1C2DB0E0, flag: (0) -
                int error: 0, call error: 0, sess error: 0, txn error 0
      (post info) last post received: 0 0 101
                  last post received-location: kgldnp: post after freeing latch
                  last process to post me: 1c251e10 41 0
                  last post sent: 0 0 15
                  last post sent-location: ksasnd
                  last process posted by me: 1c24f110 1 6
        (latch info) wait_event=0 bits=10
          holding     20a5098 Parent+children enqueue hash chains level=4
            Location from where latch is held: ksqcmi: kslgpl:
            Context saved from call: 0
            state=busy
            recovery area:

    Dump of memory from 0x1C24E174 to 0x1C24E17C

Questions:

  1. Is the SQL displayed and the information surrounding it saying that the deadlock was detected while this sql was executing, or is it saying that this SQL a culprit in the deadlock?
  2. Is there Steve Adams type info found in the Resource Name?
  3. How would I go about learning what is found at these addresses, and more importantly, when should I decide that I need to dig this deeply? My main process up until now for solving deadlocks has been to analyze the order of transaction processing and objects being accessed. I have taken a system dump, (I think this was the correct syntax) but not sure what useful information to glean out of the file.

    alter system dump datafile 11 block min 4842 block max 4842;

D) Is there alot of deadlock clue information found in the PROCESS STATE info, or is the most useful information between A and D?

--
Galen Boyer